Monday, July 20, 2009

Boise Twilight Criterium + GoGo's Close Shave


After finishing the Universal Sports TV voice-over for Milan-San Remo in Los Angeles, I caught a late night flight on Friday to Boise for the 23rd edition of the Boise Twilight Criterium on Saturday, July 18th. While having a quick breakfast with old friends from Austin (Andrew, Piper and their twin boys), we started talking about short hair. Well, you can see the outcome of that discussion here (this one's for you, Matt Diefenbach):



After the dirty work was finished for the day, it was back to business as usual announcing the races. And let me tell you - it was hot! Temps reached 106 degrees, and we had a full day of racing beginning with several waves of kiddos (some with training wheels!) - all being led out on their race by hometown hero Kristin Armstrong - the Olympic, World, and five-time National champion.

The racing everybody was waiting for started at 7:10 pm, when the Pro/Elite women took to the streets. Armstrong, who had earlier this year announced her intention to retire at the conclusion of the 2009 racing season, was the big attraction - and competing in her last race on U.S. soil before returning to Europe to try to win another Gold Medal at the World Championships in Switzerland this coming September. She was watched like a hawk by the women's field for the entire 60 minute race. Unable to break free of the whittled down field, she had to resort to winning in a sprint finish - something she's not particularly known for. The crowd went wild as she took the sprint ahead of her six remaining challengers.

Then, as the temps were finally below 100 degrees, the Pro/Category 1 men's event got under way. With raucous crowds estimated to be between 15,000 and 20,000 in downtown Boise, the race was strung-out single file for almost the entire 80 minutes. It was a night full of attacks but none gained any lasting advantage until near the end. Inside the final 10 laps, Peter Latham (Bissell) and Tyler Wren (Colavita Sutter Home presented by Cooking Light) put together what looked like it might have been the winning move. Working flawlessly together, they held the field at bay, but with a handful of laps remaining, Team Type 1 put its entire squad of six riders on the front of the bunch - catching the lead duo with less than 500 meters to go and setting up Ken Hansen to his second sprint win in as many weeks.

The next morning I hopped on a plane at dawn heading back to Montreal, where my wife, Christina, has been doing research for the past couple months. I thought it would be fun not to tell her that I'd shaved my head the day before, but it turned out that was the wrong decision. If you've ever imagined doing this, I can tell you your wife probably won't think it's funny if you show up bald one day without warning. After she almost drove right by me at the airport pickup -- recognizing me only by my shirt, which looked familiar --, she was speechless while we drove home. I thought it was a strong reaction to a simple head shaving, and then the next day (today) she told me that not only did it reminder her of picture of her dad when he was in college, but also of her ex-husband. You can only imagine how well that went over. And, quite frankly, after only two days, the stubble is a nightmare! I've always like the bald look on my friends, but alas, I guess it's not right for me.


8 comments:

  1. Where do we men get the idea that women like to be surprised? One of the great myths of western civilization ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear! I think I like it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. GoGo you look awesome! Now we just have to get a photo of the three amigos while you are in Santa Fe. I see you are still keeping it frosty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julia, in response to your comment, you mean you like his shaved look, or you like being surprised?

    For the record, this is Todd's wife Christina weighing in, and after the first shock of NOT recognizing my own husband at the airport (and the sandpaper texture), I too like his new look - and I like it better all the time.

    Now we'll see if he wants to keep shaving it... I suspect not, just like he says he'll never shave his legs ever again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Todd, your next logical move is a huge lumberjack beard ... perhaps with some beard braids thrown into the mix for additional variety.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Christina--both! He looks especially scholarly with the glasses.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dude - you look great bald - especially with those glasses. Killer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Todd-this cycling writing is truly your metier--Good on ya'! and so happy to discover (after these many years, plus I also have a cycling related question if you could contact me at my
    Texas water work spot, pls & thx!...)

    ReplyDelete